Pretty Structures 2011
This workshop is a collection of mathematically entertaining short
courses, 2 to 3 hours each, aimed at discrete mathematically versed
"street people", beginning graduate students in computational
mathematics and so on.
It took place during the week 2nd to 6th may 2011 in the historic
Hermite amphitheatre at the Institut Henri Poincare (IHP --- which has
an excellent library, by the way), in the center of Paris.
(click on names to download the lecture notes)
Invited lectures will start at 9am
every day and end at 5pm. We shall fill
the slots 5pm-7pm with other (20-30min) presentations from the
audience, as the need arises: please let us know if you are interested.
Invited speakers are paired up in (loosely) thematic sessions:
Breaks are 1045-1115 and 1545-1615, lunch is 1200-1400.
- 0900-0945, Conforti/Cornuéjols: Combinatorial optimization: packing and covering
- 1000-1045, Vuskovic/Trotignon: Structural graph theory
- 1115-1200, P. Cameron/Schürmann: Permutation groups
- 1400-1445, Sakarovitch/Habib: Automata theory / Modular decomposition
- 1500-1545, K. Cameron/Edmonds: Games
- 1615-1700, Meunier/Liberti: Combinatorial geometry
- 1700-1900, contributed presentations (optional, if contributions are sent in)
Doctoral students who attended the workshop are invited to submit
lecture note / slide material to this website
Simply write an email with an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A related workshop (Algorithms and Pretty
Theorems) was organized in 2010.
Pretty Structures 2011 took place in the week 2-6 may 2011 in the
Hermite Amphitheatre of the historic Institut
Henri Poincaré, in Paris' Latin Quarter, 11 rue Pierre et
Marie Curie, 5th arrondissement.