Fall 98, CSE 468: Abut the final exam
- It will take place on Wednesday, Dec 16, 2:30-4:20pm in 106 Bouke.
- It's a "closed book" exam. I will bring my own copy of
Martin's book and allow students to consult definitions on this copy.
The students are not supposed to bring their material.
- The questions will be on the material presented during classes 20-41
of Martin's book).
- Preparation for the exam: The following is a list of exercises
from Martin's book which I consider particularly representative
of the material studied so far. I would recomment them as a minimal
basis for the exam. Of course, you are encouraged
to try also exercises out of this
list: the more exercises you solve, the more chances you have
to get an higher grade.
You can find the solutions (at least partially) of
most of the above exercises in the "Solutions Manual".
- 7.5, 7.13, 7.15, 7.35, 7.36, 7.38
- 8.1, 8.2, 8.5, 8.6, 8.10
- 9.4, 9.15, 9.41, 9.42, 9.43, 9.45, 9.46
- 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.7, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.15, 10.19, 10.21,
10.22, 10.23, 10.25, 10.28, 10.30, 10.31
- 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.7, 11.17, 11.25
- 12.5, 12.6, 12.7, 12.8, 12.9, 12.10, 12.13, 12.14, 12.15, 12.16,
12.17, 12.18, 12.20, 12.24, 12.25, 12.26
- The last day of classes, Friday December 11, will be dedicated to
the solution of "typical exercises", as a preparation to the exam.
You are encouraged to propose exercises that you would like to see
solved in class. These can be exercises of any kind: from Martin's
book, from other books, invented by you, etc. However they should be:
Please submit these exercises by Wednesday Dec 9, either in class or
- of general interest for the exam, i.e. exercises on the material
of classes 20-41
- not solved already in Martin's solution manual.
- An ancient proverb says "If you know that you don't know,
you are already a step ahead on the way to knowledge".
Following this principle, the exam offers a
bonus for "no answer": If you
don't know the solution to one question, you may choose
to give "no answer" (by leaving blank the space for the solution).
For each question to which you give no answer you will receive a
bonus of 10% of the maximum score for that question.
If you start writing the answer, and later you wish you had left it
blank, just draw a line over your answer and write the word "BLANK" in