Mathematics for the Liberal Arts
Spring 1997. Professor Ilan Vardi.
Back to ilan's home page.
- office hours
- Object of Class: One of the purposes of a liberal arts
education is to get you to think independently is all areas of modern
culture. The purpose of this class is to get you to do this in the
area of mathematics. Learning mathematics is like learning a foreign
language. This class will teach you the culture of mathematics
without having to learn a lot of vocabulary.
- Text: There is no class text, so attendence is very
important. You will be required to purchase a text for
- Grading Scheme: The grade will be based on
Homework 1/4, Midterms 1/4, Project 1/2. The first midterm
is due on March 7.
- Class Participation: Class attendence is mandatory.
Class participation is encouraged. The project will involve
an in--class presentation.
- Midterms: There will be two midterms.
- Homework: No late homework will be accepted.
- Project: You will be required to do an in depth project
dealing with some branch of mathematics and its applications. You will
have time to discuss and prepare your project. You can work in groups
of two. You should discuss your project during my office hours,
including: (a) choosing a topic, (b) doing the research, (c)
presenting it in class. A two page typed outline of your project will
be due on February 15.